The project with the Ugandan Electric Regulatory Authority (ERA) started in February 2013. It was a bilateral project financed by the OeEB with a 6 months overall duration.
The project contained three different modules which E-Control, in cooperation with ERA, implemented in Uganda
- Module 1: Licensing processes,
- Module 2: Tariff setting
- Module 3: Internal structures/organization and public relations
Each Module comprised two missions of five days each, which took place in Uganda and were held by two experts from E-Control.
In addition to the three modules, the project also included a study tour to Vienna for three ERA experts as well as the participation in a one week training workshop for two ERA experts held by the Energy Regulators Regional Association (ERRA) in Hungary.
The training workshop provided information on technical, economical and legal skills that are needed to design and manage successful regulatory systems for the electricity power industry.
MODULE 1 – LICENSING PROCESSES
The first module contained the following four activities and results, which were carried out by E-Control in cooperation with ERA:
- Activity 1: Assessment of the existing licensing processes
- Activity 2: Evaluation and presenting best practice licensing and compliance monitoring
- Activity 3: Developing tools and handbooks for license compliance monitoring
- Activity 4: Preparing a database, market monitoring and benchmarks
MODULE 2 – TARIFF SETTING
The second module contained the following five activities and results, which were carried out by E-Control in cooperation with ERA:
- Activity 1: Assessment of the existing tariff setting processes
- Activity 2: Evaluation and presenting of methodologies in other countries
- Activity 3: Development of standardized processes
- Activity 4: Development of a Generation Tariff Framework
- Activity 5: Development of a Wheeling Charge Methodology
MODULE 3 – INTERNAL STRUCTURES/ORGANIZATION AND PUBLIC RELATIONS
The third module contained the following three activities and results, which were carried out by E-Control in cooperation with ERA:
- Activity 1: Review of the Performance Management System
- Activity 2: Public relations and stakeholder cooperation
- Activity 3: Development of a framework for Consumer Complaints handling